Join us as we imagine the Future of Creative Work!
The Centre for Arts, Design and Information Technology at GBC will be hosting the third edition of Future Ways of Living in collaboration with Meet the Media Guru and Digifest from April 25-May 5. This event will challenge participants to imagine the future of creative work in alignment with technological advancement.
- How will creative industries (workplaces, ecosystems) transform in response to emerging technologies?
- What new jobs will be created or eliminated as a result of technological transformation?
- What will the products, services, and systems output by creative industries look like?
- What are the social, environmental and economic impacts of this transformation?
This event will consist of the following components:
Guru Lectures (Digifest 2018): April 25-28, 2018 (Optional): Future Ways of Living 3 will officially kick-off in alignment with Digifest. Digifest lectures will be open to participants and a panel discussion and workshop will be held on Apr. 28th to provide insight into the technological, societal and economic drivers transforming industry sectors. The lectures and workshop will inform the charrette themes.
FWOL 3 Charrette: Apr. 30 – May 5, 2018: GBC faculty, students, industry partners and other stakeholders will form teams to develop concepts that demonstrate how digital tools, technologies, and trends will transform the workplaces, creative ecosystems and the products, services, and systems they output in the future.
Participation is free for GBC students!
George Brown College students enrolled in full-time programs can participate in the charrette for free. The charrette will take place from Monday, April 30th – Saturday, May 5th. All participants in the charrette will be awarded a certificate of completion and will contribute to a publication & video that captures the results of the event! Previous publications and videos from Future Ways of Living events have been featured in the Milan Expo, Triennale di Milano and on Amazon Prime Video. George Brown College students in graphic design, jewellery, and fashion who are accepted to participate will also receive a program elective credit.
Project Focus & Themes:
The following industries will provide areas of focus for research and design exploration that encourages participants to envision the future of creative work. Preliminary questions have been developed to guide this multidisciplinary design exploration, however, these will be updated as we move closer to the event with input from thought leaders, industry experts & GBC faculty.
- Performing Arts – How will technology enable performing arts to become participatory and immersive?
- Fashion & Jewellery – How will fashion and jewellery move toward a circular design economy and create smart clothing that enables embedded expression and communication with its users?
- Communication Design – How will communication design, experience design and branding move toward customized experiences and hyper-realities that add a new digital layer onto our physical environments?
- Media & Entertainment – How will simulations and visualizations transform the way we consume content and create new narratives within the worlds we live in?
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT) – How will emergent intelligence and ubiquitous systems emerging as a result of innovations in ICT transform the industry itself?
- Cultural Heritage – How will technology transform the embodiment (expression) and access (understanding) of culture within our society?
Don’t miss out! Apply today!
Key Dates & Locations:
Digifest Launch & Guru Lecture (Giorgia Lupi):
Wednesday, April 25th, 2018
Location: GBC Waterfront Campus – 51 Dockside Dr.
Thursday, April 26-28th, 2018
Location: Corus Entertainment – 25 Dockside Dr.
Future Ways of Living Charrette:
Monday, April 30 to Saturday, May 5, 2018.
Location: GBC School of Design – 230 Richmond St. E.
How to Apply?
There are limited spaces, apply today!
Fill out the online application by April 6, 2017.
You can access the application form here.
We will contact you with next steps if you are selected.
If you have any questions please contact
Robert Giusti – email@example.com.